Friday, November 30, 2012

The Selection/Defiance (and so on...)



Lucy is an avid reader.  If you've read any of her writing (click here and here to catch up) you know she's not a bubble gum, lace and rainbows kind of girl.  While her little sisters occupy their time with books about cupcakes, secret fashion designers, and best friends temporarily feuding; Lucy and I bond over intrigue, justice, historical/futuristic fantasy...Hunger Games style stories, with strong leading ladies able to find the right balance of beauty and brains to get the job done.


 I've been in need of a good book so I asked Lucy to lend me a few this week.  In 36 hours I finished The Selection by Kiera Cass and Defiance by C. J. Redwine.  Both fall into the fantasy category, taking place far in the future but in true Hunger Games style, things aren't all "Meet George Jetson" it's more like the Firefly series...futuristic, teched-out cowboys.  Though its far in the future, life is more medieval, with a government hiding secrets and trying to avoid a rebellion of any kind.


Lucy and I...we love a good rebellion.

Especially when led by a smart woman out to prove herself among doubting men.

Doesn't hurt if she meets a cute guy along the way either.

Who could resist sweet guys like Peeta or Maxon, or the rugged and mysterious Logan, Gale, Aspen, or my favorite...Four?  But don't get me started on that...

Of the two books, I preferred The Selection.  I was shocked when I got to the last page and read those dreaded words:

End of Book One

NO!!!!!

A quick amazon search confirmed my fears...book two has a tentative release date of late April 2013.

Ugh...have you read all the posts about how much I hate waiting?

Defiance also has a sequel but no information on a release date at this point.

Lucy doesn't understand why I enjoy reading "Young Adult" books so much, I had to explain to her that though the reading level is much too easy, the stories are just what I'm looking for.  They have drama, but not so much it becomes ridiculous; suspense/action, but not to the point of gore and horror; romance, but just enough to make it interesting, not enough to make me blush as I read.

Adult books go too far in all those categories.  As much as I struggle with balance in my life, I like a book to not be heavy on any one thing, but hitting every emotion just the right amount.

I teased Lucy when she picked out her latest stack of books from Barnes and Nobel...each cover showed a beautiful girl in a dress of some sort and wearing a look of distress mixed with confidence and a strong vulnerability.  Just like Katniss.  Just like Tris.  And in someways, just like good ol' Hermione.

Lucy and I, we're cut from the same cloth.  Maybe that's why we have such spirited interactions.  She's a good one, that girl and I now have a better understanding of what my parents had to deal with.

All I can say is:
I'm sorry :)

If you're keeping track with me, Lucy and I are currently waiting on three books:

The third Divergent book which uses "Detergent" as a working title: Expected September 26, 2013
The Elite (Book 2 of The Selection): Expected April 23, 2013
Defiance Book 2: No Release Date Available

And the final Hunger Games Movies:
Catching Fire: Expected November 22, 2013
And Mockingjay which is believed to be split into two separate movies: No Release Date(s) Available

No comments:

Post a Comment