Monday, September 17, 2012

Guest Post: Shattered, Part 2

To read Shattered, Part 1, click here.



“You okay?” I asked Alexa.
“Yeah,” she replied. “What happened to Elizabeth?”
When I got home I checked my email. I had one message, from some character that called herself “The Shatterer.” It was a little cheesey. There was some stuff about breaking my friends and if I don’t give her the symbol worn by Elizabeth I would be in big trouble. But what really worried me was the little handwritten note with the words “give it to me or she shall perish” on it. Below was an address, and the date of next Monday.
Monday of the next week Jason and Opal didn’t show up at Science. I asked Kelley, who was in Maggie’s fourth period Math class, if she was there. She said no, and also told me about the article on the internet that mentioned Jason, Maggie and Opal’s disappearance. I couldn’t tell Elizabeth about it because she was so tense these days, and also because of the crack-like tattoos that were appearing all over her. I continued on with school in a trance-like state, and managed to get home without calling or texting any of my friends. I opened the door at our address, and looked around the kitchen and the living room for Elizabeth. She had to be in her bedroom, unless she had disappeared like the others. There she was, lying in bed with those horrible cracks running along her face. She held a little wooden box.

“Elizabeth!” I yelled, and ran to sit on her bed.
“Listen. I only have so much time. Adrienne is the Shatterer. It’s what she does. She is summoned by the Devil Himself from the Underworld to go up and Shatter people to get Him what He wants. This time it was this,” Elizabeth said, and from underneath her shirt she pulled a strange necklace shaped like a pair of wings. “It could bring the Devil out from the Underworld. I was given this to protect it, and now since Adrienne had cracked me, I will Shatter soon.”
“No, Elizabeth! I need you,” I begged.
“You have Mom, and Dad, and Alexa,” Elizabeth said, fastening the necklace around my neck. “Oh, and, one last gift.” She gave me the little box. I opened it and saw that it was divided into four parts. Three were filled with powder and shards. One pile was green, another blue, and the the last pink.
“Maggie, Jason and Opal were Shattered,” Elizabeth said softly. I blinked away tears. “Is the last section for…for…you?” I shut the box. I was so mad. Mad at Elizabeth, mad at Adrienne, mad at Jason, Opal, and Maggie. I took a deep breath, and kissed Elizabeth’s forehead. She smiled. I closed my eyes, and heard the sound of glass breaking.
“So she was just…gone?” Alexa asked.
“Shattered, yes,” I replied. I snuggled deeper underneath my quilt and sighed. No more pushing feeling.
“Night, Alexa,” I whispered.
“Night, Carlie.” I closed my eyes.
In the morning a crack had appeared on Alexa’s upper lip.      

By: Lucy (almost 13 years old)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment