Friday, September 28, 2012

Advice

I have been reflecting a lot lately (fall just naturally seems like a great time to reflect) and something I've been really thinking about is all the great advice I've been given over the years.  Here are just a few knowledge-bombs that people have dropped:

As a pastry chef, I had one boss who saw me through the hardest years of my life.  Constantly checking in on me, giving me a break when I needed it, and acting more as a mentor/cool advice giving uncle than a typical boss. He gave me some of the best advice I've ever received...he pulled me aside one day, and though shaking like a leaf (a sign he was about to say something that was going to be hard for me to hear)  he said, "Linsey, you always say 'I can't handle this!' You're an adult...your job is to figure out a way to handle it.  You can't get by on that anymore."  I hear his voice in my head at times I find myself wanting to throw my arms in the air and shout, at nobody in particular, "I can't handle this!" His words have seen me through a lot of rough times, and I am forever thankful that he cared enough about me to sit me down for a hard conversation and tell me it was time to grow up.

My current boss has told the girls "make very few promises, and keep them all."  Which is a very good motto to live by. The Bible says:

Matthew 5:36-37:
And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.
James 5:12
Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple “Yes” or “No.” Otherwise you will be condemned.
And finally, Papa (my father) must have said a million times to me as I was growing up, "Life is not fair.  The sooner you learn that, the easier your life will be."  And I'm reminded of that constantly.  If life was fair, I would have hung on that cross and not Him.

Here is Citizen Way's new song "Should've Been Me"






No comments:

Post a Comment