Friday, October 19, 2012

Wait, You Don't Eat Pork?


I mentioned before that I've been praying that God would present me with opportunities to speak the Gospel into the girl's lives, and the courage to do so.  Today, He presented such a moment.

I'll set the scene: Lucy, Pho and I were hanging out in the car while Mia was at her dance class.  The girls were doing homework and I was reading my way through today's portion of my "Read the Bible Through in a Year" program.  I just happened to be in Leviticus and something (ok, God) nudged me to interrupt their homework...

Me: Hey, Lucy, you know how your Jewish friends don't eat pork?

Lucy: Yeah...

(Pho stops doing homework and sticks her head up from the back seat)

Me: Well, I'm reading that part of the Bible right now 

Then I read them most of Leviticus 11:1-46, stopping along the way as they were grossed out at the thought of eating some of the animals listed.

Me: So that's why they don't eat pork.

Lucy: So, Moses, he was like a messenger for God?  God spoke to him and he told the people?  What's that called?  A prophet?

Me: Yeah, exactly.

Lucy: Well, I used to think that it meant he made money-because he was a profit.

Me: That's funny Lucy!  So clever!

Pho: So, you're Jewish?  Wait, you don't eat pork?

Lucy (breaks into maniacal laughter): Yeah right!!!  Linsey not eat bacon...that would never happen!!!

At which point I explained to Pho the difference between the Old and New Testament, the difference between someone who is Jewish and a Christian. And then Lucy asked me to "draw her the cross thing you drew for me last month and explain about how without Jesus, you'd just fall into the Grand Canyon, but because of Jesus and his work on the cross, he bridges the gap between you and God so you can be with him forever when you die." (Lucy's words)


So I did...

Enjoy your eternal trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon...

Lucy pointed out several times to Pho "how cool it is that this makes a cross,
and that's the symbol for Christians because Jesus was crucified on a cross."

I know it really should read "Jesus took all my sin"--it's not contingent on me giving my heart to him, it's already been done...it's not perfect, but on the spot, this is what I came up with.

Clearly, they are listening when I talk.  And praise God for answering prayers and providing an opening for His message to be heard.  God is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment