Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Me Without You

Ok, I'll admit it.  I WAS NOT a TobyMac fan when I first started listening to Christian music.  This song though, I LOVE.



Such a great reminder that if I lived according to my whims and desires, followed my emotions and gave in to what society told me I should be doing, I'd be a mess!!

I remember (because it wasn't all that long ago) when I stressed over every single decision I had to make.  It was honestly an agonizing process to move forward with anything, I was in fear of making the wrong decision.  Worried what people would think if I chose one thing over another.  I'd constantly second guess myself and live in a state of doubt.

Then, I gave my life to Jesus and POOF!  I'm no longer the decision maker.  I simply seek Him and follow where He leads.  No doubt, no anxiety, no fear.  I know that wherever He leads me, it will be for His Good, and it doesn't matter what other people think, because He will be pleased.

As humans, we live in a state of reacting.  Our emotions are based on other's action to which we react.  The lyric "I'd be packin' my bags when I need to stay" sums it up.  How often do we want to bail, throw in the towel or ditch out?  But God has us in that place for a reason, and trust me, He'll let you know when it's time to move on.  If I followed my emotions, whims and desires, I'd be in a heap of trouble...I'd be packin' and repackin' my bags at least every week.

As Christians, we are called to stand on Christ, our Solid Rock, not to be swayed by the slightest breeze that blows our way.  In Chicago it gets windy.  Downright blustery I'd say.  And if I let that wind take me where it wanted to, I'd smash into the 50th floor of the Sears Tower one moment, face plant into the lake the next, and then finally land somewhere in the middle of Iowa, or Indiana, or Michigan, or Ohio...ok, to be honest, I'm not really sure where the wind would take me...which is kind of the point I'm trying to make anyway.  But when I follow God, even though I might not know where exactly I'll end up, He does, and that's all that really matters.

TobyMac says:

You rescued me
You saved me, you remade me
I am yours, forever

So I no longer have to worry about making decisions...I leave that up to Him.  And because He saved me and remade me, rescued me from the depths, I give Him my life, to do with it what He sees fit.

Here is a short interview with TobyMac about the song


As I was typing this post, Lucy was doing her homework in the same room and each time the song said "Where would I be without you?" she said, "Nowhere."  Another seed sown.

No comments:

Post a Comment