Monday, October 8, 2012

Making Papa Proud

Yesterday I ran the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.  It was my third marathon and second time running the Chicago.  I ran for the American Diabetes Association in honor of my grandmother, second cousin and father.

Training went pretty well (except the 5 weeks I didn't run at all smack dab in the middle of training) and I was injury free walking up to the start line.

The emotions of race day always surprise me, I'm never prepared for the adrenaline that floods my body and turns all the memories of Papa and Grandma Collier into motivational energy.

To hear people yell my name, total strangers cheering for me and encouraging me--tears flood my eyes just remembering it.  I've never run a better course than the Chicago Marathon...the fans alone make it the best in my book.  I love running through this city I've fallen in love with over the past five years, seeing neighborhoods that I've rarely ventured into, taking to the streets by foot instead of in stop-and-go traffic.  I love it.  This is my city.

My official time was: 4:48.45

Which in comparison to my previous two marathons is much faster!  Happy to finally have broken through the 5 hour barrier!


Check out my before and after pics...

My running pose

Running for Papa (after this photo I had "33" written between straps
it was an honor running with Papa's jersey number on my back)

Getting ready to line up!

After the race...before the shower!


I ran with "PAPA" written on the inside of my left wrist and when I felt weak, I'd look down at it and know he was with me.  I gave it a kiss a few times when I was really struggling.  I also wrote "Isaiah 40:31" on my arm, it's the reference for the Bible verse that has gotten me through training the past few months

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will RUN AND NOT GROW WEARY, they will walk and not faint.


When the pain got overwhelming (physical or emotional) I'd look at my arm and remind myself of God's faithfulness and provision.  He was giving me strength

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
Philippians 4:13
And on my right arm, I wrote "Making Papa Proud" as this was a two-fold reminder that both my earthly and heavenly father are SO proud of what I've done.  Seeking Him and giving Him the glory, knowing I couldn't take one step without Him.




On the course I saw a girl who was also running in memory of her father and the back of her shirt said, "If my father were still here he'd say that nothing is ever easy." I ran right up to her and said, "If my father were still here, he'd say the exact same thing."

I saw a blind runner with 2 guide runners.  There were mother/son, mother/daughter, big sis/little sis teams, people running for cancer, aids, animals, clean water, starving children, autism, and a host of other things.

A few of my favorite signs from the course:

Watch out, Team Diabetes is out for blood
Do epic $#!t
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever
Courage to start, faith to finish
Don't poop (out)
If Britney Spears made it through 2007, you can make it through 26.2
I like your stamina...call me
My pace or yours?
My sport is your sport's punishment
Mckayla is NOT Impressed (with Mckayla Maroney's pic from the Olympics)
Why is this parade moving so fast and where are all the floats? Worst parade ever!
I'm proud of you complete stranger (to which I yelled "I"m a stranger!!")
Your high school gym teacher would be so proud!

A big HUGE shootout to E for being my race-day sherpa, for waking up super early and getting me where I needed to be, praying with me and coordinating the cheering section.  Couldn't do it without you E.  Never would have made it through 2010 if you hadn't walked the last 6 miles with me. Wouldn't have made it through today if I didn't know people were out there rooting me on.  And also, thanks for keeping Mama Cin informed...she (and I) really appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone who braved the cold and came out to cheer--you guys are rockstars!  Love you all!

And finally, thanks to everyone who has donated, prayed, encouraged and supported me through my crazy adventures.  You sure know how to make a girl feel loved.

#ownchicago

If you'd like to donate to the American Diabetes Association, it's not too late, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment