Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Auld Lang Syne

Honestly, I have never been a fan of this song, the lyrics and melody combine together in a haunting way that makes me feel lonely and sad...like life is slipping away, another year gone.

Funny then, that this version would be my favorite...it's the version from the Sex And The City movie...when Carrie is already asleep and Miranda calls her...she treks across the city as the clock winds down and makes it just in time to embrace her dear friend.

When I hear this version, I think of my girls...Hannah and E...and not just because I saw the movie with them, but because I know, if I needed, I could call them at midnight and they'd come running, just the way Carrie did.

The words "Auld Lang Syne" translate to: times long past, the good old days.  May we remember all the good times of the year past and look forward to the good times to come in the new.

And in the words of Colonel Potter (yes, from M*A*S*H):

"a toast to the new year may she be a damn sight better than the old one
and may we all be home before she's over".



No comments:

Post a Comment