Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Always...

At church this weekend, we sang this song and it hit me hard.  These lyrics: 

Oh, my God, He will not delay
My refuge and strength, always
I will not fear, His promise is true
My God will come through always


I walked into church Sunday morning thinking about this waiting game...not knowing if what I desire most will ever come to pass...seeing everyone around me get the things I want, the things I've prayed for, waited for--good things, God honoring things...then, this song, these lyrics remind me that God will not delay, He's not withholding anything from me but rather, He's preparing me for what is to come.  He won't keep me in this place one second beyond what is most glorifying to Him.  He is my strength during the waiting, the praying, the crying out for what it is my heart aches for.  His promises are true, yesterday, today and tomorrow--He doesn't go back on His word, He delivers.  Every time.  Without fail. 

Trouble surrounds me, chaos abounding
My soul will rest in You
I will not fear the war, I will not fear the storm
My help is on the way, my help is on the way 

When I stop fighting the current and surrender to His will, His timing, my soul will find rest.  I need not fear what is to come, what might not ever come...whatever it is (or isn't) He'll be there, arms open wide, to comfort me, to give me rest, to rescue me...even if it's from myself.  My God doesn't ever walk away.  I might on occasion take a few angry, frustrated, spoiled-brat steps in the opposite direction, but He never does, He's looking to help me, to shelter me, to love me--no matter how many times I throw a tantrum.  

I lift my eyes up
My help comes from the Lord


Keeping my eyes on Him will help me see what His purpose is for me...and will keep my eyes off the disappointment of things not going my way.  The sadness, anger, jealousy, loneliness that comes when everyone you love seems to be swimming in answered prayers.  It's not because God forgot about me, it's simply because He has a different plan for me, one He'll prepare me for and help me to navigate...when you're eyes are fixed on God, you don't notice the choppy waves daring you to doubt Christ's power, causing you to sink and call out...but that's a different song...but man, I do love Peter. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Your break down of the song is so sweet! Love you Si Fri!

    ReplyDelete