Friday, January 11, 2013

Getting Ready...

The girls enjoying the snowfall
I spent a good portion of last week getting ready for my girls return to school.  Though my days are longer and more tiring when they are on break, I find they are significantly less stressful.  See, when they are out of school for a few days, I don't have to worry about running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get everyone out the door on time, to practices, lessons, etc.  I have the girls for 10-12 hours with little to no mandatory activities...they sleep in while I get my laundry started, plan the day, get breakfast on the table.  They play barbies, American Girl Dolls, Harry Potter, read books, type stories, etc while I make lists, cook and freeze meals, planing the next few weeks so when the dreaded return to school happens, I'm prepared.


I think I set myself up for success, stocking the freezer with the following:

Chicken Soup Base (double batch)
Spaghetti/Lasagna Sauce (double batch)
Pork Chops (3 bags, 4 chops each)
Turkey Chili (I made a triple batch, served half for dinner one night, froze the rest)
Dijon Chicken (1 bag, 5 breasts)

So, here's how I did it:

Chicken Soup Base is my way of making and storing chicken soup without it taking up too much room.  I sautee carrots and celery in olive oil, garlic and spices (whatever I find and feel like using) and a few tablespoons of chicken bullion, I then place half an onion (not chopped, just halved) and 3 chicken breasts on top of the veggies, turn down the heat and add boxed chicken broth until just covered.  Put a lid on it and walk away.  Once chicken is fully cooked, shred it and chop the onion.  Taste to see if it needs more bullion.  Cool and pour into freezer container.  Label and place in freezer.  This way, all you have to do is add more broth and noodles when you are ready to use it...I also (much the the girls dismay, add some sliced zucchini right before I serve it.  I made a double batch because I had the time and with the blustery Chicago winer upon us, soup will be in high demand!

Spaghetti/Lasagna Sauce is simply, chopped onion, garlic and spices sautéed with ground beef.  I do 1lb in a pan but usually do two pans at a time.  Once meat is cooked through, pour in a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I use Newman's Own Organic Marinara) and simmer for a minute or two, just until combined.  I usually also swirl about a half cup of water in the empty jar and dump that in as well. Cool, pour into freezer containers (one pan in one container), label and freeze.  Next time you want to make spaghetti or crockpot lasagna, most of the work is already done for you--just pull out a day in advance and allow to thaw in fridge.

Pork Chops: I made up a few bags of these...the same kind I made for my brother.  I didn't have enough of the ingredients needed to make all three bags the same kind so I made one of each of the following:
Oh So Easy Pork Chops
BBQ Spare Ribs (But I used chops not ribs)
Straight Up BBQ...I just added pre made bbq sauce to the chops...not creative, but it'll still be delicious!

Turkey Chili is a favorite around here...I make it a lot and the family (2 adults, 3 growing, hungry kids, and usually a nanny...) now eats more than one batch for dinner.  I now make a triple batch every time I make it...one and a half pounds of turkey in two different pots.  I serve one that night and freeze the other...figure if I have all the ingredients out I might as well!  Remember that the batch you freeze will end up spicier than the batch you eat that same night...all the flavors marinade together and intensify.  I use a little less of the chipotle than recommended.  For my brother however, I used more...he enjoys spicy and he loved it!

Dijon Chicken is another one that I made for Josh, thought I'd try it out on the girls...we'll see what they think!

Clover, happy to be headed home
It was a busy week...we also managed to get out of the house while the the amazing Barbara was cleaning, grocery shopped, picked up the dog from the kennel where she spent her Christmas as the family was out of town, picked up eyedrops at the pharmacy to combat the pinkeye that ran rampant while they were on vacation, had a few friends over while those parents packed up to move while workers fix flood damage in the apartment, watched Mirror Mirror (one of our favorites) reunited with Lizzie the BFF down the street after the long vacation, had daily swim practice, saw Rise of the Guardians in the theater (it was better than I thought it would be) and while the girls played on Friday I even managed to catch a few episodes of Downton Abbey and catch up on Parenthood...phew...I was ready by the time Saturday came!

I'll be using these freezer items in upcoming menus...let me know what your family thinks of them!

Lucy enjoying my company at brunch after her 2 hour swim practice,
the little girls swam during the hour after Lucy
so we snuck away for one on one time.

Dessert at the much needed "Nanny night out"
with Lizzie's nanny, my girl Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment