Monday, December 31, 2012

New Years Eve

The end of the year always brings a time of reflection.  What have I accomplished this past year, how have I changed, what am I looking to do differently in the new year?  Well, here's a recap of my resolutions for 2012 and how I did:

1. Use reusable bags.   
Yeah, I think I used one or two the entire year, but I bought several...lets keep it on the list again.
2. Start improving my credit.
I had good credit to begin with, it was just a little stale, needed some building, went to the bank and talked to a guy, and got some new things in motion.  Check and check...success!

3. Learn the Beyonce Booty-shake (and the entire 'Single Ladies' dance)
Started out strong the first month but then completely forgot about it...hmm...maybe it wasn't a     realistic goal anyway...we're tossing this one!
4. Be open to things...like actually be open to them instead of saying I'm open but really being closed.
 This one was hit or miss, started out being really open, got hurt a little by it so might have ended up closing up a bit again mid-year...a good one to keep on the list for 2013.
5. Make time for me.
I spend most of my time taking care of others...it is my job after all.  But I also do it in my personal life, and sometimes to the detriment of my own wellbeing.  To counter this, I started doing one or two things here and there that were just for me...like getting a dog.  Well, that went down in flames and somewhere along the way, so did the resolution.  But alas, I see the importance of maintaining a healthy balance...getting my oxygen mask on first so I can help others...and have vowed to work harder at it this year.  Staying on the list!
Adding to the list:

* No more negative body talk.
I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  God made me tall, pear shaped  and curly-haired for a reason, and I (as well as all women, everywhere) need to stop bashing my appearance.  Am I perfect?  No.  Is there work to be done?  Certainly.  But does that add or detract value to who I am?  Absolutely not.  I may not always love my crazy curls, skinny feet, dark eyebrow/light eyelash combo or the bonus booty I got goin on, but dang it, I'm gonna rock it anyway!
* Successfully complete race training.
I'm signed up for a half marathon in March, my plan is to fully commit and execute the training plan instead of giving up halfway through and running the race unprepared like I usually do.  If I don't make it though, I'll sign up for a 5k and train for that...there's always another race...but I WILL check this off my list this year!
* Step back and enjoy life.
I get so caught up in the to-do list that I sometimes forget that that's not what it's all about.  Who cares if the girls and I walk out the door a few minutes later than normal if it means we all walk out happy instead of cranky and mad at each other?  I'm going to work on taking a breath and putting the people in my life before the tasks.  At the end of the year I'd like to relay stories of good times with the ones I love rather than a laundry list of things I accomplished.   
What are your resolutions?

Happy New Years Eve!  Please be safe out there...call a cab.  AAA offers free "Tipsy Towing" in several states, you don't even have to be a AAA member.  Unfortunately the service isn't offered in Chicago, or most of the midwest but don't be stupid people...

No comments:

Post a Comment