Monday, December 17, 2012

Holiday Baking Part 3

A few more of the goodies I've gifted this week:

Lumps of Coal:

These bad boys are a favorite with my girls.  I followed the recipe exactly, but instead of pouring it into a pan, I scooped it by the spoonful and placed it in a little miniature muffin liner...so they actually looked like lumps of coal.  So cute and kids loved it!

Grind one package oreos in the food processor.  Melt 1/4 Cup butter, stir in 5 cups marshmallows, stir until mallows melt, pour over ground oreos and pour into greased pan.  Cool and cut.

Chocolate Chunk Cookies:

These have a long back story...see, almost 5 years ago I made some chocolate chip cookies for a small group of friends...they were not great so I shared me shameful secret...I've never been able to make good cookies...yes, I know, I went to pastry school, I can bake everything, but the secret to chocolate chip cookie success eluded me.  A few weeks later, one of the friends who had the great misfortune of being a victim of my less than stellar cookies was spouting off some ridiculous statistics about sharks and shark attacks.  He was kind of a jokester so I told him he was full of it...no way could he know that much about sharks...he must be making it up and I wasn't falling for it.  He proposed a bet...if he was right, I'd try recipe after recipe until I found the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  And he would get to test each batch.  I don't remember what would happen if I won...clearly, I didn't.  So, after sharing this with the women I worked for, one of them sent me a link to the New York Times recipe...needless to say, I haven't made another recipe for chocolate chip cookies since...so, here it is...the best cookie recipe ever.  And here are my changes: I use salted butter and cut back a little on the added salt in the recipe.  I also use Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chunks for the chocolate.  Absolutely follow the directions for the two kinds of flour, the sifting and chilling at least 24 hours...all three are KEY.  Sprinkle with salt and bake as directed.  Seriously, you are welcome...you'll never buy pre made dough again.  Promise.


Peppermint Bark:

I used this recipe exactly.  Spreading it super thin on a cookie sheet lined with my silpat.  Yum.  Delicious.

Marshmallow Caramel Corn:

I posted about this once before...it was so great I decided to mass produce it for holiday treats.  I use 2 bags of popcorn and do 1.5 times the recipe for the gooey stuff.  It comes out perfectly!






Click for Part 1 and Part 2.

One more recipe to come...its an old family recipe and what has made me "famous" for baking among my friends...stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment