Thursday, April 18, 2013

Put A Pin in Pinterest Thursday...

Pinterst Thursday has been preempted by this...



I saw this video posted on FB a few times this week and after watching it, well...I'm sad.  I'm sad that women don't truly know how beautiful they are, that it's almost impossible for a woman to see herself the way others do and I know that I'm one of these women.

I applaud Dove as they campaign for real beauty.  With real women.  Women that are flawed, and instead of those flaws being airbrushed before publication, they are celebrated.  In Cars 2, Mater (the rusty tow-truck who's honesty is refreshing but isn't known for being all that smart) refused to let his dents be fixed.  He said “You can’t touch my dents,” he says.  “I got every one of them dents with my best buddy Lightning McQueen.”   His dents were accumulated doing what he loved most-spending time with his best friend.  Our dents are accumulated over time, and not always from things we enjoy or can even control.  Stretch marks from carrying a child for 9 months, varicose veins from standing hour hours on end at a job we may or may not love, acne from those dang teenage (or even adult) years, scars from falling off our bike, a car accident or sports injury.  A few extra pounds because we refuse to put the people in our lives on the back burner just to look like a model on the cover of a magazine who has been airbrushed and photoshopped anyway.  We are women who have lived life, and we aren't perfect but we should embrace the fact that that's what makes us wonderful.

I'm on a campaign to stop negative self-talk.  To show women how truly beautiful they are, no matter what shape or size, hair color or texture, bone structure or skin tone.  We are all created in the image of God and when I look around, all I can say is, "Man, my God is beautiful.  In so many different ways."

Will you join me in uplifting each other and putting an end to the idea that only certain traits are beautiful and dethrone society's view of beauty and replace it with God's?  

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. 
Proverbs 31:30

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.  1Peter 3:3-4





No comments:

Post a Comment