Monday, April 8, 2013

Home Is...

This past week a few different people have asked me if I'm getting excited for my trip to Uganda in October.  Or maybe it's still too far away?  They ask.

Nope, I'm excited.  But I'm not frantic like I was last time.  I basically freaked out last time I went.  I mean, I'd never been to Africa, I had no idea what to expect and figured I wouldn't be prepared no matter how much I tried.

When I clicked the "register" button in 2011 I couldn't believe this dream was actually coming true.  That God was finally sending me to a place my heart had been for years.  My head reeled with everything that needed to be done and list upon list was made so I wouldn't forget.

This time, a calm washed over me when I clicked that same button.  The peaceful feeling of knowing you'll soon be headed home.  Yeah, that's right, I said it...home.

Yes, Sumner, WA is my home.  My family is there, I grew up there and my dad is buried there.  It's where I go for Christmas and where the majority of my thoughts and prayers get sent, where I wish I could be on holidays, weekends and when I'm lonely.  I also call Chicago my home, as this is where I've lived for the past almost 6 years.  I've only lived in my mom's house longer, never worked a job as long as the ones I've had here and this is where I do life.  But a large portion of my heart is in Uganda with my two beauties Florence and Specioza.  My family worries that I either won't come back or I'll decide to move to Africa for good.  And honestly, I'm not completely opposed to that.  I'd give anything to see my family on a daily basis, and watch my nephew grow up, but if God is calling me to a different life, I'll hop on the first plane headed to Africa.

It's almost harder being somewhere in the middle here in Chicago.  I have to remember that the work God has for me here is just as important as the work I'd be doing in Africa.  Souls are souls and the 5 I encounter on a daily basis here are wanted by Him just as much as the ones I'd be meeting in Africa.

I guess, yes, I am excited about Africa, and seeing my girls.  But not in a ants-in-my-pants kind of way. More of a content, I-know-that's-where-I'm-supposed-to-be-isn't-it-great-when-our-heart-aligns-with-God's kind of way.

If you are interested in donating for travel costs or towards the purchase of school/art supplies, hygiene items or clothing for the Compassion Sites I'll be visiting, please let me know.  Prayers are also appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to return home with you sister!! :) Love you!
    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete