Thursday, March 21, 2013

Pinterest Thursday

Here are a few of the meals I've made so far on this Whole30 adventure...

Zucchini and Sweet Potato Frittata.
To be completely honest, I didn't have zucchini and I had something with sweet potato for breakfast (see sweet potato hash below) so I made my own frittata...red peppers, onion, mushrooms, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, garlic, bacon (yum) and 4 eggs.  I cut it into quarters, had one and a half quarters for dinner topped with guac.  Delicious and filling.  Had some leftovers for breakfast a few days later too.


Fruit and Nut Bars (Homemade Lara Bars)
I'm a big snacker so when the Whole30 plan said No Snacking I freaked out a little.  I found these bars on Pinterest and decided they would be a good option to stick in my pocket and munch on after the gym while I run errands and such.  I made the apricot variety just as directed but I'm excited to try the other recipes too.  I wish I could find a way to get my food processor to chop dried mango because I would LOVE a mango bar...but they seem a little too hard for the silly machine.  Maybe I'll keep trying.

I DON'T like sweet potatoes.  Like, at all.  Not even with marshmallows on top.  Yuck.  So, when I realized sweet pots are about the only "starchy" thing permitted on the Whole30 plan I freaked a little...you get the theme here...I freak a little a lot.  I decided to jump in and give it a try anyway.  Found this recipe and thought it looked easy enough.  I used Artichoke Garlic Chicken Sausage from Trader Joes and the only changes I made to the recipe were: using coconut oil in place of canola and adding a sprinkle of cinnamon as the sweet pots were cooking...seriously smelled so good it brought my roomie out of her room to see what I was making.  I divided the hash into two containers (2 portions in each) and the next morning pulled one out, threw half of the hash into a pan to heat while I cooked two eggs in another pan and sat down to give this thing a try.  First few bites I wasn't sure of.  Then I mixed it a little more and man, was it good!  Two mornings in a row I enjoyed this.  Still have the rest waiting for me!


My pics (which aren't as great as the ones above from the original sites, but thought I'd include them anyway)
Top L: Frittata, Middle: Fruit/nut Bars, Bottom L: Baked Apple
Top R: BLTEG Salad, Bottom R: Hash with Eggs


I also whipped up a few Linsey originals...Ok, the baked apples are a Hannah favorite...

Baked apples:  I love a good baked Jonagold apple...I heat the oven to 350, cover a pan in foil, core an apple and then all heck breaks loose.  This time I brushed a little clarified butter over the tops, sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger then popped into the oven.  They took about 30-45 minutes, you want to cook them long enough until they "pop" you'll know it when it happens...the skin starts to pull away slightly and the flesh is tender.  I then added chopped pecans and a little more cinnamon and a drizzle more clarified butter...it's good fat, right?! Let it cook until fragrant then pulled them out and enjoyed.  Yum!

The BLTEG Salad: A bed of spring mix (or any greens I have on hand) topped with some crumbled bacon (I used two pieces I had left over from the frittata I made) sliced cherry toms, two eggs (I like mine over medium...whites done, yolks still runny) and a dollop of guac.  Stir it all up and enjoy...what the what?!?!  Yum!

And a few other pics from the week...my mound of dishes post cooking and the "oops, I guess that burner was still on" incident I'd rather not discuss...



Check back tomorrow for some thoughts on my first week of (mostly) eating Whole30.  And click here to follow me on Pinterest.  I even have a Whole30 board!

No comments:

Post a Comment