Friday, March 29, 2013

Gearing Up

Gearing up for the start of Whole30 on Monday.  Spent this week testing out some recipes, stocking up the freezer and trying to figure out how all this produce is going to fit into my fridge.

I saw a recipe for "Monkey Salad" on this blog and decided to try it.  If you don't feel like clicking the link I'll tell you what it is:  a handful of roasted unsalted cashews (I roasted my own in a pan because I only had raw in the cupboard), a handful of unsweetened coconut, and a sliced banana.  That's it.  It was pretty good.

Getting ready for enchilada sauce, simmering sauce, veggies for soup,
Mango Madness, toasted coconut...
I got bored of it though so I tried something similar and I named my invention "Mango Madness" which is just chopped mango, roasted chopped pecans (again, I roasted my own) and toasted coconut (I toasted my own and chopped it into little bits) throw it all into a bowl and you have a quick, healthy and delicious snack/dessert/addition to a meal.

Found a recipe for chicken enchilada soup I thought I'd try but it called for a small can of enchilada sauce...there is no such thing (at least to my knowledge) of canned Whole30 approved enchilada sauce so I found another recipe and made my own.  It turned out very tasty but quite thick so when I added it to the soup I got more of a stew consistency so I'm planning on adding chicken stock when I'm ready to eat it.

I'm halfway into making these salmon patties so I'll let you know how those turn out, should be good though.

I've also updated my "Paleo pancake" recipe...I've found it works best with either a quite large banana or one and a half small/medium sized ones.  Still just add one egg and toss in some of you pecan/coconut mixture along with a tiny pinch of salt and a dash or two of cinnamon.  Pour onto hot skillet coated with coconut oil.   Yum!

I plan to document (in photos and words) everything I put in my mouth during the month of April.  I don't think all my blog readers are interested in that so I'll link up each day with this new blog I started just for Whole30.

I've also started a Facebook group for anyone who wants ideas, encouragement and accountability.  Just let me know and I'll add you!

Hope everyone has a happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment