Friday, March 8, 2013

Going Green


A little bit of everything!
I've been making green smoothies for about a year now.  Sometimes once a day, sometimes once a month...just depends on my mood.  In my attempt to find a way to manage my tendency towards binge eating (read about that here) one quick and easy change is making green smoothies a regular part of my diet.  (I use the word diet as in "things I eat" not meaning "weight loss plan")

The family I work for has a Vitamix which allows me to throw anything and everything in without worrying about a clumpy shake.  I mean, this blender will whip raspberry seeds into oblivion.  Anyway, I've made a ton of different variations of the same basic recipe.

I start with a large handful of kale and another one of spinach.  I'll buy it fresh but after a few days I'll toss the bags in the freezer and just grab handfuls from there.  Then I'll add any combination of the following (I try for a 50/50 split of fruits and veg but I think it ends up more like 60/40, heavy fruit)

Whole apple, cored
Cuties
Grapes
Frozen Mango
Frozen Pineapple
Frozen Peaches
Berries (fresh or frozen) just don't use too many or you'll end up with a brown smoothie
Cantaloupe
Banana (fresh or frozen)
Baby Cucumber (whole)
Snap Peas
Carrots
Broccoli (I don't recommend this, it was gross)
Fresh Mint (this minimizes the bitter greens taste and works really well with the citrus)

Clearly I made too much...
I use a little ice, some water or oj depending on what I've tossed in.

I'll also add some:
Hemp Seeds
Flax Seeds
Chia Seeds

If I need the calories I'll toss in a scoop of 0% Vanilla greek yogurt.  I don't put protein powder in mine because I usually do a protein shake for bfast.  Plus, the seeds I add give me enough protein to get through the afternoon.

I never measure anything and usually end up with too much of a good thing...but a full glass of this will give me something to sip on all afternoon while I'm driving the girls around or sitting and helping with homework.  I find that if I don't have a smoothie to drink I'll eat whatever snack I've brought for the girls and lets face it...I don't need to be using up my precious calories on Ritz or Pirate Booty.

Made enough for 3 days!!!
Here is a link to more green smoothie recipes.  What have you tried and liked??

No comments:

Post a Comment