Monday, February 25, 2013

Sisters Of Compassion

Last week I got a phone call from Compassion explaining that the discount code they gave me when I registered for my trip to Uganda was incorrect and instead of my trip costing around $1,500 it's going to be more like $3,100 plus airfare to/from Washington DC where our group meets.

Ugh.  I already paid the non-refundable deposit of nearly $400 and I'm almost done with one of the blankets I'm knitting for my girls, plus I really really want to go, but that's a HUGE difference in cost.  Some people have suggested I call them back and explain that it was their mistake so I shouldn't be responsible for the new balance.  Part of me feels that way too.  But when I stop and think about this organization, which is set up to help children, I know that if I get them to pay the additional portion, the money isn't coming from some rich guy's pocket, it's coming from a place its desperately needed.  I'm not willing to take money from an organization that helps kids, even if it was their mistake.  I know that God will provide, He always does.  

I'm asking for prayers for faith that it will all come together, and for calm while it's all getting figured out.  Thank you for supporting me through prayer.
Ashley!!

My roommate from my previous Uganda trip, Ashley, is also struggling to figure out finances for the trip.  She isn't registered yet but I am praying that God will also provide her with the ability to make the commitment to this second trip to Africa.  It would be such a blessing and sweet time for us to be back there together.  She sponsors a boy named Joseph (11) who she met last time, but now also sponsors a girl named Rose (18) and will be able to meet her for the first time.  Ash also has Stephen in Ghana who is 10 years old.

Ashley and I were paired up as roomies based on age, at least thats what the trip leader will tell you.  The truth is that God knew exactly what He was doing when he put us in a room together.  Ash and I met up at JFK because our flights arrived within minutes of each other.  We then walked over to meet the rest of our tour group.  By the time the group leader arrived, she thought we'd come together and had been friends for years.  Nope, we'd just met a few hours prior.  Some of the other sponsors though we were sisters...

Ash, Joseph, Me and my girls, with other
Compassion Kids
We stayed together the entire trip, sitting together on the bus, next to each other at meals and when we met our kids the last day there, we played together like a big happy family.

I haven't seen Ashley since we parted ways at JFK in November 2011 at the end of the Uganda trip.  She took a plane back to Oklahoma and I was on my way back to Chicago.  We've talked on the phone, emailed, and texted but haven't seen each other.  Its strange to think about going to Uganda and not having Ashley there.  We bonded over the shared experience, but it is deeper than that too.  We are two women, who though have lived very different lives, have gone through similar heartache and trials.  God put us together to strengthen each of us separately but also to form an even stronger team--we've both become Compassion Advocates and have challenged each other to become more involved and invested in the cause.

I love this girl and I'm praying that God will provide a way for both of us to make this trip together.

Ash and Joseph
**Ashley is also a Compassion Corespondent which means she writes letters to kids who don't receive letters from their sponsors.  She writes to Jushua (10, Philippines), Shadrack (9, Tanzania) and Ines (4, Bolivia).  This woman writes to 6 kids on a regular basis...sometimes I find it hard to write to my two regularly.  These 6 kids are being loved on by her and will be changed forever because of it.

Marci on the far right is also making
the trip back in October!













If you'd like to Sponsor a child (it's only $38 a month) or donate to any of the other Compassion programs, click here for more info.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad the Lord brought us together on this trip. You have been a blessing in my life from the moment we met! Praying He provides the way for trip #2!! :)
    Love you Lins!!!

    ReplyDelete