Friday, February 15, 2013

Shoulder Rubs and Eye Rolls

The girls and I talked about "love languages" the other day.  I mean, I didn't use that wording, but we discussed that people give and receive love differently.  It all started when Amelia stood behind my chair at Sbux and started rubbing my shoulders.  Pho just can't handle it when this happens, "I can't believe you do that for fun!" she says with disgust.  Poor little Mia pauses and says, "What?  I don't mind!"  That was enough to provoke a famous Phoebe snort and eye roll.

Mia, always wanting to please her sisters was stuck between a rock and a hard place...does she continue to rub my shoulders resulting in my happiness or does she stop because her sister doesn't think it's cool?

Well, I certainly didn't want her to stop so that's when I said, "Pho, that's how she shows me love.  She knows I like my shoulders rubbed and it makes her happy to make me happy in this way."

This resulted in a convo about how each of the girls shows me love...

Pho shows love by being helpful, volunteering when I need a helper, letting me know exactly what is going on at all times and asking about my day.

Lucy, well, she's a different story.  I had to find proper wording...I went with, "You show me love very differently than the other two girls.  It's less frequent, but"  And that's when she chimed in, "But, Linsey!  You KNOW I LOVE YOU, right?"

Yes, Luc, I know you love me.  It's just few and far between.  It comes out in little ways that others might not notice, like a very thoughtfully worded message in a Christmas card--it appears nice to anyone else but there is hidden jokes or secrets we've made that only I would notice.  Or the booklet of "32 Reasons I Love Linsey" she gave me for my birthday.  The quick, "I love you Linsey" every once in a while as she closes the car door when I drop her off at school.  Those are the moments that make it all worth it.  They fill my cup and give me the energy to do it all again tomorrow.

I ended the conversation by telling them that it is important to know how the people in our lives receive love the best because even if that's not the way we usually show love, it's important that everyone around us feel loved.

By no means an award winning conversation, but yet, you never know what these seeds might grow into.

I love these girls.

Know who else I love?  My little Arkansas boys...they'll be in town all weekend and I can't wait to get my hands on them!!  Pics next week!

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment