Monday, February 11, 2013

My Daughters

In November 2011 I spent a week in Uganda.  It was the most amazing week of my life.  One day in particular was, and I'm not being dramatic here, the best day of my life.  The last day I was in country I met Specioza and Florence, the two beautiful girls I sponsor through Compassion International.

Specioza, 12 years old
I was given Specioza as a gift for my 28th birthday by the man I was dating at the time.  He paid for her sponsorship for one year but I was the one to correspond with her (I took over sponsorship for her after the first year).  After four years of communicating, our letters have become more personal and she now writes her own letters instead of using an interpreter.  She was 9 when I began a relationship with her and now, at 13, she desires deeply to further her relationship with Christ, become a doctor and someday visit me in Chicago.

In March 2011 I received an email from Compassion asking if I'd like to join a "Sponsor Tour" that was planned for Uganda and meet Specioza.  After praying about it and checking my bank account, I signed up.  I also immediately signed up to sponsor another child, Florence.

Florence, getting comfortable in my sunglasses!


First, I thought I'd sponsor the youngest child available in Uganda and build a relationship with them from 3 (the youngest a child can enter the program) until they graduated or aged out (children are only allowed to stay in the program until 22) but then I saw the face of a beautiful young woman and my heart lept.  This was my child.  Florence was the oldest unsponsored child in Uganda at the time and though I knew my relationship with her would only be brief, I knew God was telling me she was meant to be in my life.


So, when I landed in Uganda in November 2011 with twenty-some other sponsors, I had two children to meet.  Florence and Specioza spotted me right away, they knew who I was and knew I was theirs.  When Specioza ran up to me and embraced me, my heart had never felt such joy!  Her first words to me were, "How is my brother Devin?"  Now, for those of you who don't know, Devin is my precious angel that I nannied from 2 months-4 years when he and his family moved out of state.  I had written Specioza about Devin (and Zack, his little brother) many times and mentioned all the things we did in the city.  I didn't however expect her to inquire about him, and I was totally unprepared for her considering him family.  It blew my mind and exploded my heart with even more love for this child I had just laid eyes on for the very first time.
The three of us riding a camel at the zoo!

Florence was more reserved, tentative, and observant.  When Spec climbed into my lap and started petting my hair, Florence's gaze told me she was searching my face and memorizing it's every detail.  As Spec hugged me close as I walked, almost tripping us, Florence walked on my other side, letting her sleeve lightly brush mine.  My camera, sunglasses and name tag became items of awe and wonder, prized objects that brought huge smiles to faces even if they were only passing through hands momentarily.

My daughters.
The day was filled with questions.  While looking at the photo albums I brought them, they'd point at someone and say, "Is this your sister Alison?" and wait for confirmation before asking how she is doing, how her husband Ian is doing, and "My, he is taller than I thought."  You see, they memorize the letters I send them.  Every last detail.  They know them word for word.  All of them.  The letters serve as a reminder that they are loved.  That somewhere out there in the great big world, someone is thinking about them, praying for them, loving them.  They don't simply know about me, they know my life, the lives of the ones I love, and they care, really truly care about how each one is doing.  Why?  Because they consider me family.  A second mom.  A mom that comes alongside the woman who gave birth to them and is raising them, a mom that gives what their mom is unable to...money, resources, prayers.  If I'm like a mom, then my sister is their aunt, my nephew is their cousin and Devin is their brother.

Strangers in the morning, sisters by afternoon.
By the end of the day, we were one big family.  The three of us.  Standing in Lake Victoria, holding hands, rolling up hems of skirts to wade deeper.  Laughing, smiling and hugging like we could never get enough...and we couldn't.

The day ended far too quickly.  Tear stained cheeks everywhere you looked.  Eyes that were full of excitement and wonder just hours before were now filled with the sadness of parting from a loved one, knowing that you'll most likely never see them again.  Through bus windows, blowing kisses and saying, "I love you, I love you, I love you" as loud as you can, hoping they'll hear it and believe it, and never ever forget it.

At the zoo...Florence insisted on carrying
both my bags...
My Florence leaves the program this year, as she'll be 22 on October 28.  Little does she know, her birthday present is coming early...I'll be in Uganda the week before, making sure she knows that she is loved, thought about and prayed for.

There is so much more I want to say about my girls, Uganda, Compassion, but that'll have to wait.  I can't wait to see my two beautiful girls.  And reunite with a few friends from the previous trip...God is good, and He is able.

To find out more about the work Compassion is doing around the world, or to sponsor a child, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Agh! Sitting here reading this post in a puddle of tears... So beautiful!!! Love you Lins!

    ReplyDelete